Hello World! Happy New Year.
Over the course of the past year I was asked many questions through my website. For your convenience, I’ve compiled the most popular questions and answers. If there is a question not listed below that you are dying to know about, give a shout.
What is an Interior Designer?
Today’s interior designer works in a complicated world challenged by a variety of issues ranging from legal responsibilities and building and safety codes to projects that require an ever-increasing amount of skills and training. “Interior designer” is not just a fancy name for “decorator”. Interior design in the twenty first century is much more than selecting colors and arranging furniture.
Why hire an Interior Designer?
- It helps home owners and commercial clients to avoid making unwise decisions and chaos when it comes to purchasing materials, furniture, lights, etc.
- You can be confident and proud to show off your property or home! Particularly, if yours is a spa/salon or restaurant where first impressions matter.
- A professional interior designer sees and conceptualizes the BIG picture, whereas owners/renters more often than not, merely focus on individual issues, materials, and or colors, etc.
- A professional interior designer can help to advise on an appropriate scheme to suit your lifestyle and budget.
- Property owners doing their own interior design will usually end up with a miss-match or somewhat chaotic interior; especially by neglecting consideration of color, lighting, furniture and soft furnishings and other crucial details that complete the whole interior. A professional interior designer will help to ensure and coordinate all the above for you!
- Owners may feel the pinch when incurring cost on the professional fee. However, just imagine for a moment how much more you will have lost (in terms of money and time) when you make the wrong commitments due to inexperience of choosing fixtures and inaccurate measurements.
- For a fraction of the cost of your property, it is wise to leverage the knowledge and experience of those who are experts in the industry and to free yourself to do the things that you enjoy doing.
- Perhaps the most important reason to hire an interior designer is because the interior or your home or commercial space has the ability to affect your psyche. When you are surrounded by the colors and materials that speak to you, you will feel at ease. We spend 90 % of our time in interiors. So, why not hire an interior designer?
When should I use a design professional?
- When you are contemplating buying or building a new house.
- When you plan a major addition to your home.
- When you consider restoring an old home.
- When you want to renovate or remodel your living space.
- Whenever you need to relate interior design considerations to an existing or as yet to be formulated architectural plan.
- When your lifestyle is about to change, such as new baby or even retirement.
- When your residence will be used for occasional social functions.
- When your expanding family needs to “reorganize” space allocations.
- Whenever you need full project coordination.
- When you like a variety of styles but are not sure how to group them together.
- When your current furniture arrangement requires an infusion of inspiration.
- When you feel the collectibles you own and love require more attention.
- When your rooms needs new drapes, floor coverings, furniture and accessories.
- Whenever you feel that you need professional guidance.
Does the scale of my project really warrant an interior designer?
Just remember that no project is too small. Even if you think you could accomplish the redesign, you should ask yourself if you have the time and inclination. It is important to be realistic about how much money you are willing to spend. Include in this estimate the cost of all raw materials, new furniture, labor for installations, and possibly a designer.
What services can you provide?
I provide my clients with space planning, finish and furniture selection, lighting schemes and plans, and color consultations. I specialize in creating retreat spaces. I will work with you to make your home feel like a retreat from the outside world. I help you achieve” your” vision.
How do you charge for your time?
After meeting with you during the initial consultation and learning about your project, I will determine the scope of your project and determine how long it will take for me to design the space. Once I determine that, I will formalize the design proposal. It will be a flat fee based on hourly projections. A contract will be signed by both of us specifically calling out what will be covered by the design fee. If for some reason the hours go beyond what I specified in the contract, you will not be billed further. However, you will be charged by the hour for requesting design services not covered in the initial contract.
What is the process of working with you?
- Research: The design process begins with discovering your needs. In the initial consultation, your goals, budget and expectations will be discussed. Through speaking with you, I will discover the basics about your tastes, lifestyle, and the ideas you have for your home.
- Schematic Design: The client’s needs and personality, combined with the interior architecture of the space, provide insight to help us create a new overall look and feel. Multiple floor plan options, furniture and materials selections, and color palettes are presented to the client. A spreadsheet is also presented as a tool to compare options and track how selections will relate to the overall budget.
- Design Development: With your input and decisions, the design is finalized and implemented. Detailed drawings are provided by Delia Designs to the architect, general contractor, or custom furniture fabricator as needed. Lead times for furnishings and custom pieces are determined, and a timeline is developed.
- Implementation: We are almost there. The final step is to coordinate delivery and installation. Your space is now ready to be enjoyed!